Staff Selection Commission (SSC) conducts the Combined Graduate Level Examination (CGL) to recruit candidates for various Grade B posts under Government of India. SSC- CGL is one of the most sought after examination in the country. A job after clearing the exam gives distinctive emoluments, perks, honour and respect. The SSC CGL exam is conducted via four rounds:
- Tier I : Online Examination- Objective Type- 200 Marks
- Tier II : Online Examination- Objective Type- 200 Marks for every paper
- Tier III : Written Examination- Descriptive Type- 100 Marks
- Tier IV : Computer Proficiency Test/ Data Entry Skill Test/ Document Verification – (Wherever Applicable)
In order to give a boost to your SSC CGL preparation and ace your performance in the exam, it is very crucial to have a detailed knowledge of SSC CGL Exam Pattern.
SSC CGL Exam Pattern- Tier I:
|Sections||Total Questions||Total Marks||Duration|
|Quantitative Aptitude||25||50||60 Minutes|
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||25||50|
- For every wrong answer, there is a negative marking of 0.50 marks
- The total time allotted for Visually Handicapped Candidates is 100 minutes.
SSC CGL Exam Pattern- Tier II:
|Subjects/ Papers||Total Questions||Total Marks||Duration|
|Quantitative Ability||100||200||2 Hours|
|English Language and Comprehension||200||200|
|General Studies (Economics and Finance)||100||200|
- Paper- 1 (Quantitative Ability) and Paper -2 (English Language and Comprehension) are compulsory to clear for all the posts, whereas Paper -3 (Statistics) is only for the post of “Statistical Investigator Gr. II” and “Compiler” and Paper- 4 is meant only for the post of “Assistant Audit Officer”.
- The total time allotted for visually handicapped Candidates is 2 hours 40 minutes.
- The negative marking for every wrong answer varies in terms of papers. Paper-1, Paper- 3 and Paper- 4 have a penalty of 0.50 marks and Paper- 2 has a penalty of 0.25 marks.
SSC CGL Exam Pattern - Tier III:
- Tier III Level Examination is descriptive in nature and is conducted offline, i.e. pen- paper mode.
- This paper includes Letter Writing, Application Writing, Essay Writing, Precis Writing, etc.
- The total marks allotted are 100 and time duration is 60 minutes.
- For Visually Handicapped candidates, the exam duration is 80 minutes.
SSC CGL Exam Pattern Tier IV:
- This round tests a candidate’s ability in Computer Proficiency via a test. There may also be questions on document verification or questions related to a specific skill set depending on a specific profile/post.
- This level is not compulsory for all posts and any question type in the exam pattern may vary depending upon the post one applies for.